Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little known gem - Port Underwood Road

Last week Julia told me to 'piss off' so I took this to get on my bike and go for a ride (could I have understood her sentiment?).  Anyway, my planned destination was to go and visit Stuart who was on holiday up in Golden Bay with his family.

I had the bike packed to set off last Wednesday but it was raining so I stayed in Christchurch and used the time to get some new maps and to find a product called Rain off that Garry Williams had told me about to stop water beading on my visor, "every bike shop will have it" NOT, so still haven't been able to find any.

On Thursday about 1000 I headed off to Hanmer to head through Molesworth Station.  Stopped briefly to pump up my front tyre as I have a slow puncture and for a coffee then up Jollies Pass.  It's such a shame they have graded this to near car quality as I can remember when I thought it was wee bit rough even for the Landcruiser.  Molesworth is our largest farm and connects Hanmer to Blenheim.

 It was a perfect day and a great ride through Molesworth with virtually no traffic and lupins in full bloom.
I came across this car which had failed to take a corner, and a bridge and ended up in the river.  Went down to have a look and could see no heads rolling in the back seat so I assume nobody was hurt, apart from their ego I guess.
 
The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful apart from my top box falling off, again.  Why does BMW make off road bikes and then proceed to add 'bling' to them and not proper off-road gear.  Quite a bit of the road along the Awatere Valley is now sealed so I headed up Taylor's Pass Road to Blenheim.  This is a metal road with tight corners but great riding.  By the time I got to Blenheim it was looking like rain and the ride to Picton did result in me getting wet.  I stayed with Peter Unger and his partner Elizabeth in Ngakuta Bay on Queen Charlotte Drive.

I had planned on doing the Port Underwood Road before getting to Picton but due to the weather I was glad I didn't as the next day was warm and sunny so perfect for this road so I headed back to Picton and out along Waikawa Bay Road.  This is a narrow, tight, windy road but with stunning views.
Its a 40k ride from Picton to Rarangi and then about another 10k from Rarangi to Tuamarina on the Blenheim - Picton Road.  At least half of the road to Rurangi is metal and there was signs of logging activity but luckily not the day I was riding it.  There was also some fairly major slips on the road as it was not long before that they had some heavy rain.


If you plan to ride this road I suggest you do it from Picton in order to maximize the views and minimize the slips.

From Tuamarina I took a shortcut through to the Blenheim - Nelson road and carried on through to Motueka (where I tried to get Rain Off again!!!).  I caught up with the local Bike Cop there who confirmed that the Takaka Hill was in the best condition ever and I should enjoy it, and he was right.  Better still there was no traffic, bliss...
I finished the day in true GS style with a wine sitting on the lawn with Stuart in Pakawau.




No comments:

Post a Comment