Thursday, December 30, 2010

GS Ride - Day 3 (Leigh to Mt Maunganui)

The prospect of another beach ride was high on many riders list today, except those from Auckland who knew what Muriwai beach was actually like.  Anyway, on leaving Leigh we headed through the Kaipara Flats along stunning gravel roads to Glorit.  We then headed through Helensville to Woodhill Forest and the entrance to Muriwai Beach, well some of us did.  Others headed straight to Cycletreads in Auckland which on hindsight was a better move.

Getting onto Muriwai you had to get over a dune of very soft sand where the majority of bikes promptly got stuck.  Even large 4wd vehicles were having trouble getting over the dune by Garry, Peter Rogers and Peter Zink all managed it (must have something to do with light bikes).


Justin was the first to park his bike, and walk away....

 
Ian wondering if he should just give up now or later!

The dune we had to get over.


Ian 'calling a friend' to get a second opinion.

Once your bike is buried in sand, you tip it over and fill in the hole rather than trying to push it out of the hole.  Sand Riding Lesson 1

Then just pull it up, jump on it and off you go, Yeah Right!



So Ian, how many bikes have you pushed out?

Only five, but I reckon we won't have to buy drinks for the rest of the trip.

If we don't look at Thomas he is sure to get through...

Hmmm, maybe not then.

Five more beers coming my way..

The BMW GS parking lot at Muriwai Beach.

I'm not moving, are you pushing?

Hmm, the term ' a beached whale' springs to mind.

Sorry Ian, someone smaller will have to ride it.

Smaller, I'm the smallest rider here #$^&(^O&RTLB&ITO<L

Well who is a pretty boy then!!

We left only tyre prints in the sand.




















Getting off the beach at the other end was just as difficult with some very smelly clutches around.  Luckily we had Peter Rogers with us who could jump on any bike and ride it through or over anything, very impressive.

From here we had a scheduled stop at Cycletreads in Takapuna and then another stop at BMW Headquarters in Mt Wellington.  By the time we got to Cycletreads there was only really time to take my helmet off, say hi to Craig Stephens, point out some new riding gear to Nigel (all in pink) then round up the gang and head to BMW Headquarters.

We managed to keep together on the ride to BMW and luckily there was not too much traffic on the motorway.  At HQ we were greeted by John Glaswell from BMW and Steve (a Rescue Helicopter pilot) who gave us a talk about how important fundraising vents like ours were.

John had organised a fantastic lunch for us all which was much appreciated.
On leaving BMW HQ I realised I had forgotten my backpack and thinking it was at HQ I did a u-turn to head back to pick it up.  Once back there it turned out I had left it at Cycletreads so a quick call to Craig saw it on a courier down to Motomart in Wellington.
By now everyone had gone so I made my own way to Clevedon and along the Miranda coastline to Thames.  I must say it was quite nice riding by myself and I didn't loose too much time as I caught the others in Thames.  Some riders were going to head straight over to the east Coast whereas I headed North in order to ride the infamous 309 Road, and was so glad I did.  It was great, however on reaching the end I noticed I had lost the medical bag off the back of my bike so turned round to do the 309 the opposite way.  It wasn't long before I was flagged down by Ian & Kelly who had picked up the bag, phew, what a relief.

From there it was  along ride South down the peninsula through Tairua, Hikuai, Whangamata, Waihi, Katikati and onto Mt Maunganui where we stayed at the Beachside Holiday Park.

Local BMW Dealer, Mt Motorcycles, put on a fantastic bbq for us and it was also where we had to bid farewell to Kelly as she had to fly back to Auckland the next day.  I ended up heading off with Garry to go and stay at his mum's place just outside Te Puke.  Total distance traveled 503 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment